Wednesday, March 17, 2010

first practical exam today (OSPE)

Today is my first practical exam. There are 8 stations which tested on the students' skills on neurology, musculoskeletal, electrotherapy and cardiorespiratory.

Basically, what I can say is I have done badly. (I think)
Because many small small parts I missed out. For example, I didn't tell my 'patients' the functions and purposes of the tests that I wanted to do. I think this is due to my habit because since my clinical posting in PPUKM, I seldom/never tell my patients what are the purposes of the tests that I'm doing because I don't even have time to do my assessments. Sigh....wrong wrong habit. Must change it ASAP.

Next, there are something that I never heard before during the examination. i.e. alternating hip and knee flexion? What the hell is that? I only heard of alternating ankle movement (dorsi/plantarflexion), alternating hand supination and pronation but NOT hip and knee flexion.............???

Then, things taught to us during lecture are different from the expectation from the examiners. In practical sessions, we did exactly what the lecturer has taught us (ie, anterior lung surface marking until intercostal joint 6)but examiners said it is until joint 8. WHich one should we follow?

There are some examiners who are very kind and lenient and willing to give tips by asking you questions. But there are also some who only sat there without saying a single word.

The moral of the story: I should really improve my practical skills. I think my theory is ok but when it comes down to practical, sometimes, I do not know/sure how to do it. So, practise! Practise!

Another thing, I should really learn to read the questions properly. Because of the nervousness during exam, most of the students tend to be panicked and read the questions very very fast until they may misunderstand/overlook/miss out some important message in the questions. Such a simple thing, read. And I can't do it properly. How shame.....................''=_=""""""""

I hope I can really improve my practical skills. Practise!

No comments:

Post a Comment